Friday, September 17, 2010

Bullies

I’m sure it won’t surprise you when I tell you there are bullies at school. Harassment in school doesn’t wait until children are older. It might shock you that kids in kindergarten are even at risk of being pushed around literally. Bullying can indeed take the form of hitting and pushing. But usually it isn’t physical violence. Bullying usually involves threats and name-calling. School safety experts say kids, parents and teachers can work together to stop this problem. Our local schools are working hard to teach empathy and compassion as well as the art of conflict resolution. Talk to your children. Let them know that they can stand up for themselves. Here are tips to teach your children: If you are being bullied, tell the bully in a firm voice that you don’t like what he or she is doing, Walk away quickly, and find an adult right away then tell them what has happened. Teach your kids to be smart and to know that they only deserve to be treated with kindness.

2 comments:

  1. I've done everything I can think of to teach my son, 10yo in 5th grade, how to deal with bullies. Ignoring and assertion, not getting upset. He still reacts strongly to bullies and fuels the problem. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous, thank you for your question. I will put together my thoughts and ideas for your son. Tell me, is he being bullied at this time? Share a bit about the situation, and how he is handling it. Together we will create useful ideas in handling this issue.

    ReplyDelete