Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Mom's Minute: The Short Answer

I was reading an article in a parenting magazine the other day (okay, the other year... but it's still bugging me). A gentlemen had written about teaching your teenager not to talk too much. He felt that at the supper table, small details of a story weren't important and that children of all ages should learn to cut things short so everyone could have time to share.

I would like to meet this man. I would love to tell him what I thought about his article. I wonder if he views all of his blessings as a problem.

How many of you would love to have your children excited to talk to you?! I know I am pleasantly surprised when my kids want to include me in the events of their day.

If your child's typical answer to the question, "How was your day?" is a short "Fine," you might want to try these questions instead:

"What was the best part of your day?"

"What was your least favorite thing you did today?"

With open-ended questions, you just might get your kids to actually talk. And if they already do, consider yourself blessed. Remember this at times like these: it only takes a moment to make a memory that lasts a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment